So long Sandy, you were one heck of a storm! Thankfully, we never lost power, no trees or branches fell on our house or cars, and we didn’t have any flooding… We were very lucky. Unfortunately, not everyone else was as lucky and there’s lots of clean-up to be done. My thoughts and warm wishes go out to everyone on the east coast that was affected by Sandy.
On a sweeter note, I woke up this morning in the mood for pancakes. Surprising, right?!
For some unexplained reason, I’ve always thought of Grape Nuts as the cereal for grandparents. Was there ever a commercial with older people eating Grape Nuts?! I don’t know… Maybe it’s because of the high fiber content? Or because of the small pebble-like “nuts” that don’t require much chewing? Again, I don’t know…
What I do know is that my nutty idea to combine pancakes + cereal was a hit These ‘cakes are fluffy, hearty, full of fiber, packed with protein, and will keep your belly full until lunch!
Grape Nuts Pancakes
¼ cup white whole wheat flour
¼ cup Grape Nuts cereal
1 teaspoon stevia
a few shakes of cinnamon [as much or as little as you’d like, I like a lot]
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 egg [or 2 egg whites]
¼ cup water
- In a medium bowl, combine all the ingredients.
- Whisk the ingredients together until combined. Note: There will be some lumps because of the Grape Nuts.
- Spray a medium-sized skillet with non-stick cooking spray and place over medium heat.
- For each pancake, spoon 2 generous tablespoons of batter into the pan.
- Cook each pancake until a few bubbles form and burst, approximately 1 to 2 minutes.
- Flip the pancake and cook until browned on the underside, about 1 to 2 more minutes.
- Serve the stack of ‘cakes with your favorite toppings!
toppings: coconut Chobani + maple syrup + chopped dates
Question: Do you ever relate food with age?
Question: Have you ever tried Grape Nuts? I think they’d be a tasty yogurt or ice cream topping!